Rocamador's pilgrims hostel in Estella

1st category tourist hostel
of the Camino de Santiago

Hostel services...

Reservations:
-Phone: 948-550549
-E-mail: reservas.estella@alberguescapuchinos.org

Rooms with bathroom included:

- Room with 2 beds. Price: 40 euros per room.
  (There are 8 rooms of this type)

- Room with 1 bunk bed and 1 bed. Price: 16 euros per person.
  (There is 1 room of this type)

- Room with 2 bunk beds. Price: 16 euros per person.
  (There is 1 room of this type)

Rooms with bathrooms to share:

- Room with 2 beds. Price: 32 euros per room.
  (There is 1 room of this type)

- Room with 1 bunk bed. Price: 32 euros per room.
  (There is 1 room of this type)

- Room with 3 beds. Price: 16 euros per person.
  (There is 1 room of this type)

- Room with 2 bunk beds. Price: 13 euros per person.
  (There are 2 rooms of this type)

- Room with 3 bunk beds. Price: 16 euros per person.
  (There are 2 rooms of this type)

NOTES: (These services are included in the prices)
1.-All beds are equipped with sheets, blanket and bedspread.
2.-Rooms with 2 beds and bathroom included, in addition to the full bed (sheets, blanket, bedspread), bath towel is included.
3.-All rooms have lockers with their corresponding key.
4.-Rooms with two beds and those completed by known groups, relatives ... will have the key to the room.
5.-Free wifi service for all pilgrims.
6.-Free-use kitchen.
7.-Prices include the corresponding VAT according to Law (10%) (10%)

OTHER ADDITIONAL SERVICES: (Not included in the price):
1.-There is a washing machine service (3 euros) and dryer (3 euros).
2.-You can have towels. Prices: bath towel (3 euros), toilet towel (2 euros)
3.-There is a restaurant service (breakfast, lunch and dinner) (from March 15 to September 30)
Prices and schedules of this service will be displayed in the hostel.

SCHEDULE:
Opening: 12:00 AM.
Closing: 10:00 PM.

WINTER HOURS: (from November 1st, 2017 until January 12th, 2018)
Opening: 01:00 PM
Closing: 09:30 P;

The hostel will be closed from January 13th, 2018 to March 4th, 2018

CHRISTMAS SEASON:
- On December 23-24-25-30-31, 2017 the hostel will remain closed.
- On January 1-5-6-7, 2018 the hostel will remain closed.

Origin of Estella...

The city of Estella sees the light in the year 1090. The purpose of its foundation was none other than to give lodging and food to the pilgrims who came walking from different parts of Europe on their way to Compostela. For centuries it was the most important commercial and industrial center of the area, to the point that it became the first trade code of the Iberian Peninsula.

Estella keeps the pilgrim a legacy of incalculable value in terms of historical landmarks, traditions and monuments.

The temple of Santa María de Rocamador...

Legend has it that the Virgin Mary, after her Assumption into heaven, appeared to her former servant Zacchaeus the publican and ordered him to move to Gaul to make eremitic life. Arrived in France, after founding the sanctuary of Le Puy, he moved to Quercy, dwelled in the hollow of a rock, built a chapel, and known by the pagan Indians as "Amator Rupium" (Amador of the Rocks), was named Amador, and Roc-Amador (rock of Amador) happened to be the one of the rock in which it inhabited, that through the language d'Oc derived in Rochemadour.

Next to the hostel is this Romanesque temple dedicated to the Virgin. The image of the Virgin is a beautiful carving of the XII Century and 88 cm high.

She wears a complicated tunic made of tunic, over-tunic that draws a curious fold on the right leg, touches knotted behind the neck, and open cloak, while the Child wears a tunic with a fringe around the neck and mantle like a Roman toga.

Maria's face radiates serene expression and presents an almost perfect oval in which the almond-shaped eyes, rectilinear nose and a small mouth are integrated.

The body has parallel legs at a right angle, and while the right arm forms a 90º angle, the other, more open, leans on the knee and holds the Child at the bottom. This one, sitting on Mary's left leg, blesses with his right hand raised while holding a book with the other hand.

At the end of the 19th century, when the Capuchins tried to establish themselves in the historic city of Estella, the Bishop of Pamplona left them with one of the two sanctuaries of Estella: the Puy and Rocamador.

The Capuchins in Rocamador...

The friars decided to settle in Rocamador, where they could count on a beautiful orchard, so necessary in the capuchin convents.

On July 31, 1899, the Provincial of the Capuchins submitted a formal petition to the bishopric, receiving a favorable reply. Then, the provincial asked the general of the order the urgent "acceptance of the benign offer, because it is a very religious city, which is why many other religions request with the greatest instance the erection of their own house and accept this house if not we accept ourselves right away".

On January 30, 1901, the bishop granted "the authorization requested to us by the time of our will and of our successors", reserving the right to authorize or deny the works that they wished, and prohibiting their cults to coincide with those of the parishes.

For several times the convent passed from "house of eloquence" to "center of studies" of the order, returning in 1953 to its primitive destination: place of worship and preaching with particular attention to the confessional.

Three years later, while the majority of the friars were preaching for the people of Tierraestella for San Isidro, on the night of May 14 to 15, 1956, the convent burned almost completely. Furniture, books and furnishings were burned, and the church was also affected.

The reconstruction works began on March 1, 1958, opening on November 27 of the same year. 

Resumed the conventual life, on January 23, 1967, the temple was closed to reprimand it because "the church of Rocamador is of Romanesque style and its true art is hidden and goes unnoticed".

In the reform part of the choir was eliminated to give more light, the main altar was built facing the town, "and the presbytery, which is believed to be made of stone, will be cleaned of plaster and ornaments".

On the outside the earth that covered part of the apse and transmitted strong humidity was removed. Subsequently, in 1975, the roof was repaired by changing the timber through concrete beams.

The convent of Rocamador continued with that dedication to the cult of the small church and attention to the confessional and to the preaching by the towns of the area. In 1987, the novitiate of the Capuchin province of Navarra was transferred to this place and the fraternity was completely renewed. From 1993 to 2005 it was the place of the novitiate of the Capuchin provinces that we currently form the Province of Spain.

Today, next to the temple, is our hostel.

Pilgrim, do not miss the opportunity to greet the Virgin and ask her to find your dreams, hopes and dreams on your journey.

This website uses cookies to obtain statistical data of the navigation of its users. If you continue browsing we consider that you accept its use. More information Accept